[lro] Diesel Timing

From: William L Leacock (roverbilly@juno.com)
Date: Tue Dec 31 2002 - 14:36:21 EST

    Max writes: so how do I time a diesel 2.25 lr engine.
     I recommend that you buy the workshop manual and follow the
    instructions. Basically timing involves setting the position of the
    injector pump when the appropriate crankshaft marks are aligned. There
    are however several different set up's depending on the year of the
    vehicle and of the pump. After timing to the book, some tuning skill is
    required to fine tune the timing to obtain optimum performance (I know
    this is an oxymoron when applied to a LR diesel- but "very small
    incremental changes can be very significant".) the noise and the exhaust
    colour are indicators of timing accuracy.
     Happy New Year
     Bill Leacock.