Re: [lro] Re: Pictures of MY new truck

From: Frank Elson (frank.elson@ntlworld.com)
Date: Fri Dec 20 2002 - 17:35:03 EST

    Marin writes: >>> What is it about Series Land Rovers
    > that prompts so many people to plaster them with decals and
    > stickers? Judging by the photos I've seen posted here and in
    > magazines, it's gotten as bad as Formula One. You know there's
    > a race car down under there somewhere, but you'd never guess its
    > shape from all the sponsor's decals and other crap plastered all
    > over them. I'm probably really old fashioned and out of touch,
    > but I still recall the clean, beautiful lines of race cars in the 1960s
    > and 70s. I don't think Jimmy Clark's cars had anything but
    > racing numbers on them. (I do understand the big money attached
    > to sponsors' logos and the racing teams' need to get more of it, but
    > that doesn't make me like the look of the things.)<<<

    there you go. For race/rally/competition cars you need the decals on to get
    the cash.
     Then the private motorist wants a motor that looks the same so he sticks
    stickers all over his to make it look like a race/rally/competition car.
    That's it, nothing else.

    You would have loved the 1965 Formula Ford I did a story on this week.
     Lotus 51C. Plain green with one yellow stripe down it. Original paintwork
    and all those years old. And he's winning things in hill climbs...

    Best Cheers

    Reverend Frank