Re: [lro] Painting with DuPont

From: Richard Joltes (djoltes@attglobal.net)
Date: Fri Dec 20 2002 - 14:42:18 EST

    "Alan J. Richer" wrote:

    > --- Kirk Hillman <hillman88@telus.net> wrote:
    > >
    > > Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't PPG an industrial
    > > coating much harder
    > > and thus brittle than an alkyd enamel?
    >
    > Nope - stuff Richard was using was an automotive paint.

    That's dj to you, ajr. And yes, it was an auto paint. You can see
    the component details at http://pws.prserv.net/djoltes/land-rover.htm
    (middle of the page talks about the PPG products used).

    > When I shot Mr. C lo these many years ago I used a simple
    > two-pack automotive enamel. The one I used was PPG Delstar
    > - worked great and sprayed with little difficulty.

    The PPG stuff went on like glass with little real effort. I had
    a good HVLP gun and decent compressor, but this was my first big
    attempt at shooting a whole car. Came out great...only 2-3 small
    runs and 1 slightly undershot (on the last coat) area. Likely a
    case of beginners' luck, but I'm not complaining. I'll be painting
    my '71 Spitfire this spring if all goes well.

    > As a matter of fact I just sprayed the rebuilt bulkhead of
    > Mr. C with the remains of the paint I bought lo these many
    > years ago and it was as good as the day I bought it.

    As long as the stuff remains unmixed and in a sealed container it
    should last quite a long time.

    > Do yourself a favor - nose around a bit more and see if you
    > can find a PPG dealer. They can cross the Ditzler numbers
    > available in the FAQ up on OVLR.Org.

    I found all my stuff online...don't have the URL handy right now
    but it was a place in the midwest that sells auto paints of all
    types at semi-reasonable prices. Some retailers won't sell these
    products to "consumers" for some odd reason...maybe they think
    there's a liability issue or something, or they're protecting the
    shops.

    Good luck!

    dj
    1974 SIII Airportable, 'Smudger'