Re: [lro] SII to SIII clutch

From: David Blair (daveblair@bcnewsgroup.com)
Date: Thu Dec 19 2002 - 12:55:50 EST

    Try checking the nuts that hold the top cover in place. If the nuts on the
    right side of the top cover are quite tight it will restrict movement of the
    1-2 shaft, thus causing tough shifts. (and the nuts on the left will affect
    3-4 if over-tightened) You may also notice tough shifts in reverse, but
    since you are moving the spring plate as well, it may not be as noticeable.

    Another possibility -- I'm told that the top cover and case were machined
    together and thus should be kept as a set. It's likely that by this time the
    top cover might not be with its original case and there may be a little bit
    of interference in the fit. Generally, if the cover is not on too tightly,
    this will wear in. but you can do some encouragement to the wear process by
    shifting it back and forth a few hundred times... worked for me on a recent
    rebuild where I knew it wasn't the original cover.

    I was planning on going to a SIII box and using the existing SII bell
    housing and hydraulics. I'm interested in hearing which is going to be the
    most successful with the least work.

    Dave

    --
    David Blair