Re: [lro] Shope Vacs

From: Con (seitl@ns.sympatico.ca)
Date: Thu Dec 19 2002 - 09:47:46 EST

    John Cranfield wrote:

    > I had a pretty good idea the ashes would be cold as I was cleaning the
    > stove ready for this seasons use. It wasn't just the ash pan but all the
    > other nooks and crannies that needed cleaning.

    While cleaning the ashes out of the stove is a necessary task, care should be
    taken. Having responded to 2 house fires last year that were ash related, the
    cause was determined to have started on the deck . Homeowner diligently cleaned
    the stove, put it all neatly in a cardboard box and set it out on the deck, next
    to the house. One of the fires lit up at about 2 am, lost the side of the house.
    My all time favorite is the guy running a 2 bay shop, burning oil filters as well
    as wood, dumping ashes in front of the stove to cool down, Also had stuffed
    cardboard between the stove and wall to dry off and warm up. Of course it burned,
    (why wouldn't it?) and the houses on either side were damaged as well. Lost
    several cars and a tow truck. Some peoples kids........

    Con Seitl
    1973 III 88 "Pig"
    1991 RR "hers"