Re: [lro] OT (sort of): Limited slip diff

From: Jean-Leon Morin (offroaddesign@softhome.net)
Date: Tue Dec 17 2002 - 17:28:04 EST

    > Midway down the page is a link to some video showing how the
    > "locker" works. I've had two trucks with the G80, a 93
    > pickup and my current Suburban. J-L is correct, one wheel
    > does spin a bit before the friction plates will engage. I
    > think the aftermarket soft type lockers with the dog tooth
    > arrangement are more durable, lock more positively, and are
    > cheaper over all to run. On the other hand, the Eaton is
    > very smooth in its operation and doesn't cause any negative
    > on road handling characteristics such as understeer.

    I was actually considering using this locker for my next project, which will
    be non-rover based. I won't bother discussing it here, as it's getting
    extremely far from anything related to series rovers (except that this truck
    will be towing them), and it's going to be a few years before I'm building
    it. The gov lock was used extensively by the canadian military in their
    general service trucks and ambulances, and since I'll be using these axles
    on project X so I'll have it in, and ready to go.

    However, I've heard through the grapevine that the 14 bolt has been
    redesigned for the new gen chevy pickup. Can someone verify this?

    J-L