Re: [lro] Brake pad installation

From: Peter Ogilvie (roverhi@yahoo.com)
Date: Mon Dec 16 2002 - 14:09:39 EST

    Hook the springs to the post and the brake shoes. Be
    sure you have the springs in the right puka in the
    shoes. Put the shoes in place on the cylinder end of
    the shoes. Pry the shoes into place on the fixed end
    with a long screw driver or other suitable pry bar.

    Always put the shoes in the cylinder end first. If
    you are trying to pry the shoes into the cylinder end
    and it slips, you can rip the rubber dust shield
    badly, btdt. It's also an easier target to fit the
    shoes into the fixed end.

    Be sure the adjusting cams are backed all the way off
    before you begin. If the shoes have a front and back,
    be sure that you have the right shoe in the right
    place. Can't remember about the front but the 109
    rears have a front and back.

    Think the previous poster meant vise grips, not
    channel locks. In any case, the idea seems like it's
    worth a try. The only caution is to be careful not to
    bend the shoe backing plate in your enthusiasm. I've
    not had a problem using a pry bar to get the shoes in
    place but always a risk that the shoe can slip.

    Aloha
    Peter O.