Re: [lro] Special Purpose tools: Re: Brake pad installation:

From: David Scheidt (dmschei@attglobal.net)
Date: Mon Dec 16 2002 - 15:02:35 EST

    >Y'know, spring tools and the like are all well and good,
    >but I have a real problem dealing with "one-note Johnnys"
    >in my toolbox.
    >
    >Sometimes a special-purpose tool is necessary - witness the
    >splined head-bolt socket needed to do a head job on a Pinto
    >{shudder}. Personally, though, i consider things like that
    >monuments to bad design. If I can't fix it with a
    >well-equipped toolbox what did you do wrong designing it?
    >
    >French cars are notorious for this crap, as is American
    >iron of late (helloooo, TORX!).

    Get used to Torx, and get yourself a set of external Torx tools
    while you're at it. Torx has a number of assembly advantages, no
    tool cam-out, less fastener damage, better tooling life. It's here
    to stay.

    >Opinions?

    I'm not a big fan of required special purpose tools, and I appreciate
    the fact that the number of special tools needed to work on a series
    Land-Rover is quite small. However, I am a big fan of saving time.
    So a special tool that makes a job easier is a very nice thing. For
    example, on the 240D, adjusting the valves can be done with a pair of
    14 mm wrenches, and much swearing and knuckle busting. But it's much
    faster to use the special Mercedes tools, which are a pair of
    wrenches bent in a peculiar fashion that makes the job a snap. I've
    got a number of such tools that make life easier if you have to do a
    job again; some I've bought (Rover hub socket, rover t-case socket),
    some I've made (a 7/8 socket with a slot cut in for removing water
    temperature sender units, lots of jigs for building things).