[lro] Re: Series Cup Holder- possible solution

From: C. Marin Faure (faurecm@earthlink.net)
Date: Sun Dec 15 2002 - 22:08:49 EST

    Won't work in an SI, II, or IIa, but I found soon after taking delivery of
    my SIII that a standard soft-drink cup will fit nicely in the parcel shelf
    or whatever they call it between the instrument panel and the center
    "pillar" thing that holds the emergency flasher switch (and on my SIII all
    the electrical switches). The top of the cup sticks up high enough into
    the vent cutout that it is prevented from tipping over by the top of the
    vent, but you can still get it out to drink from it. This probably won't
    work with the super-size cups that are popular now, but normal cups will
    fit very nicely. I haven't tried it with a hard-plastic, hard-top coffee
    cup, however, so I can't say if that will work or not.

    Of course, this will only work if you don't use that part of the parcel
    tray to store extra fuses, small box wrenches, screwdrivers, extra light
    bulbs, bolts, washers, and other small bits and pieces you've found on the
    ground after they've fallen off your vehicle.

    If you really want a conventional (aka "real") cupholder in your Series but
    want to keep your vehicle as "gen-u-wine Land Rover" as possible, you might
    be able to incorporate the old-style Range Rover cupholder. I've installed
    one in our '91 Range Rover, and it works quite well.

    The '91 did not have a cupholder, other than a pair of worthless detents on
    the underside of the cubby box cover. However, as our vehicle was built as
    a Vogue SE, it does not have the cubby box cover used on the US vehicles
    but a larger, deeper cover that incorporates a mobile phone holder in the
    top (this was back when mobile phones were large, rectangular things). But
    starting in '92 or thereabouts, Range Rovers could be fitted with a
    side-by-side cupholder that sat down inside the cubby box. It was hinged,
    so if you opened the lid you could also hinge back the cupholder to get at
    stuff stored in the box underneath it.

    Using this cupholder required that the cubby box lid be opened all the way,
    a sort of dumb arrangement as that meant the top was hinged back into the
    rear seat area where it could easily be ripped off the box by an errant kid
    or something.

    The mobile-phone top used in the Vogue SE didn't hinge back all the way
    anyway, which made it impossible to use the cupholder if it was mounted in
    its intended position inside the box. So I adapted the holder, which is
    quite substantially made of heavy, matt-finish, black plastic by the way,
    to mount externally on the rear of cubby box where it is easily accessible
    by the folks up front but it does not protrude into the rear seat area.
    The Range Rover holder is not just a circular rim such you find on many
    vehicles these days, but has actual cup-like shapes with bottoms to hold
    your cups, water bottles etc. So you can use them to hold things like
    pens, a modern cellphone..... or spare fuses, small tools, and the bits and
    pieces you find under your vehicle after they've fallen off.

    If you can obtain one of these Range Rover holders- I assume they're still
    available as spare parts- I would imagine you could easily figure out how
    to mount it somewhere convenient in a Series.

    C. Marin Faure
      (original owner)
      1973 Land Rover Series III-88
      1991 Range Rover Vogue SE