Re: [lro] Re: TD5 (no Series content)

From: David Scheidt (dmschei@attglobal.net)
Date: Fri Dec 06 2002 - 11:30:24 EST

    >Peter O. Wrote:
    >> According to the ZA list, a large majority of early
    >> failures were coolant related. A lot of failures on
    >> the 300tdi were timing belt related but that problem
    >> was fixed.
    >
    >Umm, how did they fix the timing belt problem? The only cure I know of is
    >to replace it altogether with gears and to my knowledge that never happened
    >at the factory. Along this same thread I have a query. Is it not true that

    There was a premature failure problem with the early 300 TDi engines,
    a design flaw or a defect in construction of something. There was an
    article in one of the LR mags a couple months back on buying a used
    disco, and it discussed the problem, how to tell if it had been
    corrected, and how to fix it yourself.

    The only problem with timing belts per se is a tendency to break
    without warning. That can be worked around by changing the belt at
    the specified maintenance interval.