[lro] Re: TD5 and SII Discovery

From: Faure, Marin (marin.faure@boeing.com)
Date: Thu Dec 05 2002 - 22:43:31 EST

>Bill Fishel wrote:
>I've never experinced turbo lag but from the descriptions I've heard that
is what the sudden acceleration is that you described.

Could be. I've experienced turbo lag in the Cessna T206 I flew
for awhile. You'd put in power for takeoff and while the engine
would spool up right away, there would be a surge of power a few seconds
later as the turbocharger came up to speed.
But I don't recall the Tdi- powered Land Rovers I've driven doing
this, although it may be apples and oranges in this case. Perhaps the TD5's

turbo boost or response is considerably greater than the old Tdi's. And I
can envision circumstances where that sudden increase in acceleration could
be a bonus rather than an annoyance.

>I'm dissapointed to hear the TD5 is thought of as unreliable.

It's unreliable in the opinion of the people I talked to, which certainly
does not encompass the majority of people with experience with this
engine. The TD5's been around for awhile, so I would expect there
is sufficient data now to support or refute the poor opinions I've heard
about
it. Several weeks ago, I posted a comment about a TD5-powered
D110 I passed on my way to work here in Seattle, expressing surprise that
this Land Rover model would be in the US. Among the replies to the list
were several comments about how this particular owner could now enjoy all
the detriments of the TD5, including the frequent repair costs. If I recall
the
thread correctly, some of these comments came from the UK and some from
Australia. If that's the case, the engine seems to have garnered a bad
reputation
over a wide area, for whatever reasons.

However, to end on a positive note, I was impressed with the Series II
Discovery itself. It handled very well on the narrow, winding roads in
the Dales and on the motorways. It didn't wander around, even at speeds
approaching 85 mph. The suspension was firm but not jarring on the
potholes and paving patches on the road from Swaledale to Tan Hill,
for example. The turning radius was a bit of a surprise, as I remember it
being considerably less on the Discoveries I've driven in the past. But
perhaps the problem is more with my memory than the steering. The
4wd system is very good. Despite having to negotiate several times
every day a quagmire of
very slippery mud in the front yard of the farm we were staying at, the
Discovery never slipped a wheel. The mud was such that the owner
had to fire up his SIIa to tow a delivery van out of the level yard to the
road.
The seats were comfortable and the manual transmission shifted precisely.
I'd still rather have the aforementioned D90 pickup with the nifty
canopy, but the SII Discovery earned high marks in my opinion.