[lro] TD5 and canopy

From: Faure, Marin (marin.faure@boeing.com)
Date: Thu Dec 05 2002 - 19:19:39 EST

    Mark Pilkington wrote:

    >>Marin Wrote. Of all the newer Land Rover vehicles I saw on the trip, the
    one I
    would most like to have was the most popular version in the Dales- a D90
    pickup
    with these really nice aluminum canopies over the bed with external bracing
    ribs on the canopy. Very handy looking vehicle,
    that. The same style canopy is used on D110 pickups, too.

    >Re: The TD5, I think you had a bad tranny in that Disco. The TD5 is a
    great
    engine. I am just about to buy a 2002 Defender 110 TD5 Station Wagon. The
    top
    that you see everywhere in England is called an Ifor Williams top. They
    look
    like crinkled aluminum foil with ribs over the top. They are made for most
    pick-ups.

    It didn't feel like the transmission was the problem, but that the engine
    was
    sort of cutting in and out momentarily when the accelerator was in
    "neutral."
    As to the TD5's reputation, I've had no experience with the engine but this
    one, but of the several Land Rover owners and operators I talked to about
    the TD5, all of them said the engine has a very bad reliability record. My
    friend with the hire vehicle company who supplied us with our Discovery said

    that he and his mechanics have found the TD5 to be a real disappointment,
    but
    fortunately he rarely keeps a vehicle in his fleet for more than six months,
    so he's
    rid of them before the engines start giving problems. The Commercial
    Discovery
    we had was an exception as it had been in his fleet for exactly one year.
    In fact,
    the tax disk expired the day before we turned it in, and it was being traded
    out of
    the fleet a few hours after we were done with it. But he was not at all
    impressed with
    the TD5, and said that while it's performance was better than the Tdi it
    replaced,
    its reliability is very bad. Don't know this for a fact myself, I'm only
    repeating what
    I was told during the two weeks we were over there.

    As to the canopy, we're probably talking about the same thing, but the
    body of the top didn't look like crinkled aluminum foil, but seemed very
    smooth with a dull aluminum finish. The strengthening ribs are vertical-
    higher than they are wide. I thought it was a very nice, functional design,

    and it certainly looks very strong, although I have no way of knowing
    if it really is. But they sure are popular among the farm set. Are they
    expensive?