Re: [lro] Airplane buffs read this...

From: Rick Grant (rickgrant@telus.net)
Date: Mon Dec 02 2002 - 22:58:50 EST

    Jean-Leon Morin wrote
    >My question is - any idea what kind of machine this might be off of? There
    >are many mentions of it being for an "S-4" automatic pilot. I don't know
    >anything about aircraft so I wonder if this is an obscure part or something
    >fairly common. It looks like it might actually be a retrofit.

    Well, the model number doesn't spring to mind, but Sperry autopilots were
    to be found on a variety of military and converted military aircraft as
    late as the mid seventies when I stopped flying for a living. It wouldn't
    surprise me if there were still DC-3's, Expediters, and DC-6's still in the
    air somewhere "Powered by Sperry." I haven't seen a Sperry in a cockpit
    since then but again, I don't fly for a living anymore and I don't often
    get a chance to drive from the left seat in anything more serious than a
    172 or 185 which generally do not run to wonderful luxuries such as
    autopilots, and by god they are wonderful things to have in a
    plane. However, there was once a time when Sperry ruled the field.

    Sperry pretty well invented the modern autopilot as we know it, both
    hydraulic and electric, although I seem to recall that the Germans were
    leaders in the electric field at some point.

    One thing I do know is that it was a specially built Sperry autopilot that
    guided a C-54 from the States to England, I believe, and right down to the
    runway at that in 1947. The flight controls were untouched from
    taxi-on-active through flare and landing. That stunt is routine with
    airliners today but in 1947?

    Being a pilot, ("Aircraft Commander" in politically correct speak), I never
    had to get my hands dirty in the air force and when bush flying only
    allowed by the licensed a&p mechanics to dirty them with straight muck so I
    am not familiar with the inner workings of the autopilots. But the bit you
    have would have been one of several installed in an aircraft to operate the
    flight controls.

    Some aircraft such as the Lockheed F104 were stuffed solid with the things
    since it flew at speeds that made manual control of the flight controls
    impossible. Of course, if you developed a hydraulic pressure problem then
    things got real interesting. Other aircraft would have need of fewer
    hydraulic servos. There were many variations involving cables, hydraulic
    lines, electrical servos, and combinations thereof.

    It wouldn't surprise me to learn that the S-4 servo you have is still
    available new. Aviation is as conservative as the Roman Catholic Church
    when it comes to change and the most unlikely of vintage parts are still
    being made for aircraft. Sort of a Land Rover philosophy -- if it worked
    for Dad and Grandad then it will work for me attitude.

                                              Rick Grant
                                            1959 SII 88"
                                            VORIZO

    Calgary Alberta