[lro] Howling noise when driving

From: Toni (toni@macpower.fi)
Date: Wed Nov 27 2002 - 03:51:16 EST

    Ok, this morning I checked oil in gear box, transfer case and both diffs. The
    diffs and trans case had oil up to fill up holes and. But...when probing the
    gear box fill hole with my finger I didn't find oil surface. There was some
    oil on my finger but there was no pool of oil I could dip my finger in.

    So, could the horrible howling come out of the gear box (it sounds like the
    sound comes from the rear of the car but...)?

    This I am not absolutely sure but when test driving I once downshifted to 3rd
    and I think the sound went away. I am not sure what it means but could the 4th
    gear make this sound?

    Thanks.

    Toni