Re: [lro] wiper arms

From: David Scheidt (dmschei@attglobal.net)
Date: Sun Nov 24 2002 - 03:24:23 EST

    >At 11:03 PM 11/21/2002, Tom Proctor wrote:
    >
    >>John Karlsson wrote:
    >>
    >>> I get mine (for dual motors) at West Marine.
    >>> Stainless steel arms, and a nice clamp mechanism
    >>
    >>John,
    >>
    >>Are these the type that have the tall (or thick depending how you look
    >>at it) rubber blade with a bolt and acorn nut securing it to the wiper
    >>arm? I've seen these on boats and want them for my 109...
    >>

    >The arms I am using appear to be AFI Catalog No. 33002:
    ><http://www.marinco2.com/showProduct.asp?p=33002>, and they are set
    >at the shortest length. The blades are AFI Catalog No. 33901:
    ><http://www.marinco2.com/showProduct.asp?p=33901>. The West Marine
    >info is:
    > 7-1/2'' Standard Wiper Arm 250514 33002 $14.99 USD and
    > 11'' Classic Wiper Blade 255218 33901 $11.99 USD.
    >
    >With this setup the blades don't touch the windscreen frame. Don't
    >forget that you will need to drill out the mounting clamp. Not a
    >big deal, as it's a standard drill size (1/4", if I recall
    >correctly). Note: The standard wiper arm doesn't snap back and
    >stay in the raised position for cleaning. If you care about this,
    >you might want to explore one of the deluxe arms. There is a short
    >one available, but I've never looked at it, so I don't know how it
    >mounts to the shaft.

    I just fitted a Trico adjustable wiper arm, part number 51-062, $15
    at Advance Auto, special order, to the 109 to replace the dodgy one I
    had. Appears to work fine, though it hasn't rained. The #51 adapter
    (for a shaft of 15/64), drilled out with a 1/4 bit, and attached with
    the two 3/32 allen head set screws, works fine. the #49 adapter --
    for 1/4 inch shafts, is too loose to work, it spins on the shaft. I
    fit a Trico 11" exact fit wiper, part 11-6 to it. This is a wrist
    action attachment blade, the arm comes with adapters for both that
    and bayonet mounted blades. The wrist action style work on the good
    stock arm I had; the dodgy one was a bayonet style (trico part 11-1
    works on it).

    David