Re: [lro] Need a good title/bulkhead plates...

From: David Scheidt (dmschei@attglobal.net)
Date: Sat Nov 23 2002 - 02:16:22 EST

    >On Fri, 22 Nov 2002 15:30:33 -0800 (PST) Stirling Anderson
    >
    >what frame horn numbers? I dare you to come on over right now and find any
    >numbets on Elgie's frame! ;-0 remember I had to replace that, but do have the
    >orig frame-horn with numbrers.. in teh garage just in case...
    >Yeah! if I can get a title with damaged vin plates, I can stamp them on a new
    >set from B/P. that should be leagal enough, as it's replacing damaged ones....

    Well, no. It's not. It's not legal to swap the number plates. In
    some states, it's not legal to remove them even for restoration. In
    others, you need to get the police involved. In Michigan, it's a
    felony (punishable by a fine of not more than $10,000 or four years
    in prison, or both) to merely possess a manufacture's number plate,
    number stamps, rosette rivets or a facsimile thereof. (Mich. Code
    750.415 sub 6)
    Other states have similar laws. There are procedures to get
    replacement vin plates from the vehicle licensing authority;
    depending on the state, the numbers may or may not match what was
    there originally.

    David