Re: [lro] Redoing engines, and the dangers inherent therein. Advice pls

From: Peter Ogilvie (roverhi@yahoo.com)
Date: Fri Nov 22 2002 - 13:31:39 EST

    My transmission packed it in on my 88 when the lay
    shaft broke. Had a spare transmission sitting around
    so no big thing, a day out and a day in at the pace
    that I work. Oops!! a slight, minuscule bit of oil in
    the bell housing. Just thought I's R&R the rear main
    seal. Oh hell, since the engine was out and the crank
    loose, might as well R&R the rings. That meant
    pulling the head and, since I'm pulling the head,
    might as well convert it to unleaded. Oops, the
    cylinders are a bit oval but still within tolerance.
    To be safe better might as well have the engine bored
    out and fit new pistons. Anyway, you get the idea. 2
    years later the old girl was once again back on the
    road with new parabolics, new old transmiassion, new
    clutch, shocks, front drive shaft and a completely
    rebuilt drive train.

    Hell, since that was so easy and quick, might as well
    pull the transmission on the 109 as it's slipping out
    of 3rd on over run. The 88 is back up and running so
    no sweat. Out comes the transmission only to discover
    that the output shaft nut was only finger tight. The
    PO must not have tightened this nut up after they took
    off the PTO. Since the transmission is out might want
    to look at the engine, etc., etc., etc., 10 years and
    a completely POR'd frame, new rear bed, rebuilt engine
    with a cam, two barrel Weber and port job, completely
    rebuilt hydraulics for the second time necessitated by
    sitting so long, new parabolics, OME shocks and etc.
    Just a little minor fixup on a truck with only 36,000
    miles on the clock.

    So you can see, doing simple repairs is an insidious
    addiction. Under no circumstances, fix anything on a
    Rover that ain't been broke for at least six months.
    Before starting any fixes, destroy all your
    catalogues, lock yourself out of the parts suppliers
    web sites, cut up your charge cards and sign over
    control of the family exchequer to SWMBO. There just
    doesn't seem to be a little fix on a Rover.

    Having said that, the 3 main engine will take most any
    modification you want to make to it. Most British 4's
    were 3 main engines until well into the '60s including
    the relatively high revving MGs. These engines
    managed to get around places like LeMans for the
    occasional day long outing. 5 mains are a wee bit
    stronger but nothing that I've been able to notice.
    I've milled the head, added a 2.5 cam, bored it .030
    over, and stuck on a 32/36 carb to one of my 3 main
    engines. The mod's have significantly improved the
    performance with no reduction in reliability.

    There is only so much you can ring out of a 2 1/4, be
    it 3 or 5 main. If you really want horsepower, stick
    in an RDavis engine, though. It's supposedly a bolt
    in so the truck would only be down for a day, yeah
    right!!!!.

    Aloha
    Peter O.
    http://mailplus.yahoo.com