[lro] Re: S3 gearlever to S2A?

From: C. Marin Faure (faurecm@earthlink.net)
Date: Tue Nov 19 2002 - 14:50:58 EST

    Date: Mon, 18 Nov 2002 23:09:58 -0500
    From: Michael Hatton <mhatton@compt.com>
    To: lro@koan.team.net
    Subject: Re: [lro] S3 gearlever to S2A?

    On Mon, 18 Nov 2002 Solihull@aol.com wrote:
    >> Too bad. Seems like years ago, when the nylon bush on the bottom of the
    > shifter on yer basic series three failed, you ordered a series two shifter,

    >Wha! There's supposed to be a nylon bush there?! Well that could explain
    things :)

    My SIII's original shifter had a sort of molded hard rubbery ball on the
    end. The ball broke away after four or five years, and it was very
    disconcerting. The knob machined on the end of the shifter itself was very
    small, so small, in fact, that it could slip between the slots on the
    shifting mechanism going from second to third but not shove the rods home.
    The result was that the lever would be in third, the transmisison would be
    in neutral, and there seemed to be no way to get the lever back into
    neutral. I discovered this on my way to work one day in traffic. Some
    frantic jerking on the shift lever caused it to slip back into neutral.

    I figured out the problem, and realized there was no practical way to fix
    the original gear lever. So I ordered a new one, and my supplier
    recommended the SIIa lever which has a larger machined ball with the O-ring
    slot. While I waited for it, I had to be careful to shift very precisely
    with the original lever to avoid the
    shifter-in-gear-transmission-in-neutral situation again. So shifting from
    second to third meant pushing the lever straight forward to neutral, then
    all the way to the right, then straight forward to third.

    The SIIa shifter eliminates the potential for this problem once and for
    all. However, it's been my experience that the O-ring in the slot doesn't
    last very long. However, my shift lever doesn't wiggle and rattle (much)
    with the O-ring gone, so I haven't bothered to replace the ring. The shift
    ball has been without an O-ring for some 20-plus years with no problems, so
    I guess it's not a critical part. But the molded ball on the end of the
    SIII lever is,
    so if you can switch to an SIIa lever, you'll be better off. Or have
    someone weld up a larger ball on the end of the SIII lever. That would
    work, too.

    Off to Defender-land.....

    C. Marin Faure
      (original owner)