[lro] Replacing brakes and hubs ?'s

From: MIKE SHILLINGFORD (mdshilli@msn.com)
Date: Tue Nov 19 2002 - 12:58:47 EST

    Well after driving 100 miles on my new engine and clutch I decide to take a
    look why it keeps fading to the right when breaking. I backed off on the
    left side front adjusters and spun the wheel. It started around smoothly
    then grabbed and stopped. I removed the drum and pumped the brakes but
    nothing moved. My brakes are servo assisted so I started the rig and then
    pumped without the drum on. (not sure if you are supposed to do it this way
    or not). The top cylinder did not move at all but the bottom one pushed
    outwards. I pushed on the pedal a few more times then fluid started coming
    out the bottom cylinder. Is this because I did not have the drum on and it
    extended too far? So now I have ordered all new parts from the oil catcher
    to the axle cover. I know I could re-use some of the parts but it's easier
    for me to start with all new parts. So here are the questions.

    1983 SWB so it has the 109 front axel

    Does someplace sell the tool to remove the hub nut on the end of the axel?
    it's not the hexagon/slotted one but the rounded slotted one.

    All the manual show replacing the brakes pads and cylinders with the hub off
    it it too hard to do with the hub on?

    If I have the hubs and brakes off do I go ahead and replace the swivel ball
    assembly at the same time? I don't think it needs to be replaced but if it's
    better to just do it all at once I will do it. That way I have a better
    understanding of the condition of the rig.

    I am trying to keep the entire project under 1K for all 4 hubs and brakes
    and get it done in one weekend.

    Thanks
    Mike Shillingford
    Everett, WA