[lro] Power Loss

From: Paul Quin (pquin@shaw.ca)
Date: Tue Nov 19 2002 - 10:53:24 EST

    I've noticed over the last few months, a loss of power from my 2.25l.

    Driving over a local mountain pass know as The Malahat one weekend, as I
    neared the top, the engine seemed to run out of puff. What I used to be
    able to climb over at 70 - 80 kph was now a 50 - 60 kph struggle. I'm also
    smelling much more 'blow by' gasses under heavy throttle.

    The power loss was so sudden that I first though it must be a loss of
    compression through a bad valve or broken piston ring. This weekend I
    checked the compression and it was 125 - 130 psi through all four cylinders
    which seems not too bad.

    I've replaced the plugs, rotor, condensor and fuel filter, and statically
    timed the ignition.

    I have been unable to get the timing light to flash. I've checked both the
    + and ground connections and they are good. The timing light works fine on
    the Nissan.

    Could a weak coil cause any of these symptoms? (including not flashing the
    timing light)

    How about stuck timing advance weights in the distributor? Bad vacuum
    advance (retard?)

    Any other thoughts?

    TIA

    Paul Quin