Re: [lro] Series IIA Brakes Saga

From: Michael Thompson (miket@rio.edu)
Date: Tue Nov 19 2002 - 09:30:45 EST

    I just went through the brakes on my Series 2A. I had the same two
    push brakes. One thing I discovered that gave me too much pedal travel
    was the nuts that secure the pedal to the master cylinder rod. Take off
    the cover on the box that holds the master and make sure everything is
    tight. Another thing I learned was "just replace everything" My project
    started with axle seals because there was grease all over the shoes. I
    replaced the shoes. Then I noticed the rubber lines were cracked.
    Ordered them and tried to install. Broke the steel lines. While the
    shoes were off one of the wheel cylinders came open. Had to bleed the
    system, then I twisted off a bleeder. I ordered wheel cylinders. Also
    when I replaced the shoes I checked the drums and they were a little
    over sized. New drums now. Finally after all the bleeding, the master
    cylinder having travelled farther than it had in the past and the
    rubber going over corroded metal, failed. Now I have a new master
    cylinder.
    After all of this, I have great pedal and fair brakes. Old drum brakes
    are only so good after all.
    Cheers,
    Mike Thompson
    http://www.rio.edu/miket/