Re: [lro] Welding Galvanized Metal Safely

From: David Scheidt (dmschei@attglobal.net)
Date: Sat Nov 16 2002 - 20:43:27 EST

>There is a product called galveeze or galvit, something like that, it's
>basically a stick of zinc. Any way it comes in a solid stick, about a foot
>long and 1/4" square. After welding up galv metal you heat up the area and
>the stick with a torch and cover the area. Gord'n showed me the stuff while
>working on a galved bulkhead. Works great. Have fond it in all my local
>welding suppliers.

I'm leery of breathing zinc fumes doing this. I know you're not
supposed to heat the stuff till it boils, but I'd rather use a zinc
rich paint. Some of the non-aerosol ones are as much as 90% zinc by
weight, do a very good job of coating, and don't involve molten toxic
substances.

David "number 27 on to do list: Avoid molten toxic substances" Scheidt