Re: [lro] Welding Galvanized Metal Safely

From: MarkoNTL (marko.cosic@ntlworld.com)
Date: Sat Nov 16 2002 - 16:10:01 EST

    > I'm not sure. I'd talk to my welding supplier -- they've got a guy
    > who knows all sorts of things. I'd suggest you do the same.
    Somebody else is doing the rollcage work - only suppliers I know are local
    pub for CO2 and local factor for plain wire - this I'd have to have rollcage
    man order.

    > If you
    > don't value your time, grinding and steel filler is cheaper, as
    > silicon bronze wire costs 4 or 5 times as much, and requires much
    > higher gas flow rates.
    Cost isn't an issue 'cos its only a little welding; think I'll stick with
    what I know works - the grinding and plain stuff, and prep and paint
    carefully then.

    Nice to know you can repair galv chassis without totally compromising the
    coating though!

    Cheers,

    Marko