Re: [lro] HELP ME!!! HELP ME!!

From: David Scheidt (dmschei@attglobal.net)
Date: Sat Nov 16 2002 - 02:11:15 EST

    >Is anyone still awake on the left coast?
    >The Missuz broke the key off in the ignition in the '95 Disco. The "stump"
    >is about 1", so it's burried about 1/2 in it. Can't get to it . Of course it
    >broke at the thinnest spot, so it feels like both tumblers(#3) are down and I
    >can't even feel that I can move them. I feel #1 and #2 .. In any case, I
    >can't dig it out.
    >
    >The only thing the manual talks about is taking out the whole ign assy.. Says
    >"tap w. LH tap and extract". Bastards! there's barely 3/4" between the top
    >of the sheared screw and the dash. I'll try cutting a slot in it w. a dremel
    >tomorrow. If it fails, I'l try to weld on a nut. Assholes!
    >Anyway.. anybody been there, done that? Is there a magic trick, like does the
    >barrel pop out of the ignition body? OH PUUUHLEEEZEE!??

    Before you go ripping things apart, call a locksmith. Keys broken in
    locks are pretty common, and there are techniques and tools to deal
    with it. That's probably cheaper than replacing the ignition switch
    assembly. Does the lock work with the stub of the key inserted?

    >Oh, and anybody got a spare remote for said vehicle on the cheap?
    >And any leads on where to get the key made insteel, not brass? Ti? (this shall

    You don't want a steel key. Keys are soft, since they're much easier
    to replace when they wear out than locks are!

    David