[lro] Time to change the head?

From: A. P. (Sandy) Grice (apg4@pinn.net)
Date: Fri Nov 15 2002 - 10:31:02 EST

    "Faure, Marin" <marin.faure@boeing.com> wrote:

    >I'm thinking that perhaps the unleaded fuel troll has
    >finally caught up with me.

    Not bad actually....I lasted about a dozen years or so between the exit of
    leaded fuel (which virtually coincided with an engine rebuild *without*
    stellite valves) and the recent head rebuild. And this was using marine
    Re-Lead in every tank and an Ampco vapor-lubricator injecting Marvel into
    the fuel load....

    A couple of years ago, I redid the head even though it was only 60,000
    miles after a major engine rebuild. I knew compression in #4 was dropping
    and it developed that distinctive, rythmic putt-putt sound out the exhaust.
    Towards the end, the exhaust miss was hard to ignore, and by the time I
    pulled the head, there was a wedge-shaped crack in #4 exhaust. The machine
    shop guy said I was 25 miles from catastrophic failure....

    During the last engine rebuild, the only thing (other than swapping over to
    stellite valves, of course) that was not addressed was the valve guides.
    The valves are designed so that in use, they rotate slightly, giving even
    wear and more importantly, even cooling. With worn valve guides, the valve
    will tip ever-so-slightly, causing it to touch at one spot before it seats
    completely. It is this one hot spot that causes the familiar, pie-shaped
    crack.

    Buy stellite exhaust valves from one of the usual suppliers. Let the local
    machine shop source the stellite valve seats, as he will have the
    proprietary cutters to install these.

    Cheers