[lro] Time to change the head?

From: Faure, Marin (marin.faure@boeing.com)
Date: Thu Nov 14 2002 - 16:08:39 EST

    I'm thinking that perhaps the unleaded fuel troll has
    finally caught up with me. While driving the SIII
    the other day, I noticed that on the steep, mile-long
    hill going up to my neighborhood, a hill I take in
    3rd gear at about 3,000 rpm, about halfway up
    the exhaust had a very "airy" sound as opposed to
    its usual burble. The rpms didn't drop, and I
    didn't need to add more fuel to maintain speed.
    But at the top, when I would shove in the clutch
    to let the rpms drop to idle, the manifold pressure
    gauge pulsed a lot, not unlike having a badly mis-adjusted
    or burned valve. After driving on the level for a few
    minutes, the fluctuation went away when I let the
    engine go to idle.

    It starts fine, idles smoothly, etc otherwise. It's just
    the hill climb that results in the odd exhaust pulse and
    fluctuating manifold pressure (at idle). So I'm
    thinking that perhaps one (or more) valve clearances
    have moved to the point where as the engine heats up
    on the climb, the valve(s) don't close properly anymore,
    resulting in the airy sounding exhaust and fluctuating
    manifold pressure. As the cylinder temperatures go
    back down, the valves return to a more normal seating,
    although if this is what's happening, the clearances are
    obviously way too tight even for "normal" conditions.

    I'll check the valves before I drive it again, but since I
    last adjusted them only a thousand miles or so ago,
    I'm starting to suspect I'm getting valve seat recession in
    at least one valve if not more. Back in the 70s and 80s
    when I was driving the vehicle every day, the valves
    needed checking only a couple of times a year, and even
    then there was rarely much adjustment to be made. The
    last time I adjusted them, however, prompted by a rhythmic
    spit in the exhaust and a pulsing manifold pressure gauge,
    I found all the valves were fine except the very front one,
    which had no clearance at all. Adjusting this cured the
    exhaust and pressure symptoms, but I'm beginning to
    think a new head, or new valves seats and valves in this one,
    will soon be in order.

    It's not unexpected. I figured it was just a matter of time
    before I'd have to do it. But if any of you have experienced
    a similar symptom, particularly with a leaded head engine,
    I'd be interested to hear what you found.