Re: [lro] Wisdom of replacing cylinder head and carb

From: Ian Stuart (Ian.Stuart@ed.ac.uk)
Date: Mon Nov 11 2002 - 10:11:36 EST

    On Mon, 2002-11-11 at 12:40, David Hope wrote:
    > After embarrassingly coming very much last in an RTV
    > trial here in England yesterday it's back to the
    > drawing board. Conditions were very muddy and steep.
    Join the club :)

    > Concensus of opinion is that my vehicles poor
    > performance was due to a combination of bad driver,
    > poor tires and weak engine.
    I find excuses like "Worn tyres", and "engine needs replaced" very
    useful. I've also used "I'm running in a new engine, and can't rev the
    engine too high" :)

    > Basically, my 7:1 compression engine knocks when going
    > up hill under load and is generally tired, although it
    > is fine on the flat.
    Three things:
    1) buy a compression tester, and check the compression on your engine.
    If all pistons are within ~10% of each other, and over 80 (should be
    ~120) then the problem is timing/fuel, not the engine.

    2) Compare Turners prices to Automotive.

    3) Consider swapping the whole engine for a second-hand untit (I'd pay
    ~200/250 GB for a decent second-hand 2.25)

    > In a long conversation, Turner Engineering recommend
    > their 8:1 polished cylinder head and a switch from a
    > Webber to a Zenith.
    There are various "stages" in improving performace to a 2.25

    2) Sort the carb/distributor so the timing is set right
    3) Sort the valves/gaskets so there are no compression leaks
    3) Sort the block so there are no compression leaks (down, past the
    bores)
    4) Tweek the exhaust system to get better airflow from the engine
    5) Tweek the Carb/inlet manifold to get better airflow into the engine

    --
    --==++
    Ian Stuart: Edinburgh University Data Library.

    Information is not knowledge Knowledge is not wisdom Wisdom is not truth Truth is not beauty Beauty is not love Love is not music -- Mary.