[lro] Restored Rovers (was NY Times article)

From: Faure, Marin (marin.faure@boeing.com)
Date: Fri Nov 08 2002 - 22:22:01 EST

    NY Times text:
    >"At least 85 percent of all old Land Rovers on the road today are patched
    back together with odd parts, just like the American cars in Cuba," said
    Charles Kellog, owner of British Northwest Land Rovers in Olympia, Wash.,
    which does restorations rather than patch-ups. "They are owned by people
    who don't have a clue how beautifully and magnificently a properly turned
    out Land Rover can run."

    TeriAnn wrote:
    >Reading many of the brags on this list about things used to keep many
    lister's Rovers moving (I'm not considering field repairs) I almost
    think he is right. Many people on the list seem to have, with great
    pride, taken bodging to a high art form. There seem to be a lot of
    people who go way out of their way to keep from using Land Rover parts
    to fix things. Not everyone of course but a very noticeable number.

    I have never met Mr. Kellog, so I have no idea how he regards
    unrestored vehicles. I don't know if he's a purist and shudders
    at the thought of parabolic springs, disk brake conversions, etc. If
    he is, then I can see how he could make the first part of his comment,
    as there are probably very few totally stock Series left in the world,
    let alone the US. However, this "patching" is not unique to current
    owners. I had changed the dash, built a storage box in place of the
    right rear seat, installed a hinged access panel in the wing over the
    clutch master, added instruments, etc. to my SIII within the first four
    years of owning it from new. I suspect most Series have been "altered"
    at least a little by their owners, even when the vehicles were relatively
    new.

    It is the second part of his comment that I take issue with. First of
    all, I would never use the word "magnificent" in describing how a
    Series runs, even a brand new one. Certainly not one with a
    stock Rover engine, be it diesel or petrol. These engines can
    run very well and very reliably, but they sure weren't magnificent
    even in their heyday. The brake design isn't any worse today
    than it was thirty years ago. It's adequate now, and it was
    adequate then. But that's all. His implication that Series
    Land Rovers were noble steeds until the current crop of
    owners got their hands on them is bullshit. They were
    okay vehicles to start with, but nothing more than that.

    As to his "owners without a
    clue" comment, I'm sure there are Series owners who fit
    that description. The ones who pay inflated prices for the
    vehicles certainly do. But I have a feeling there
    are people on this list alone- TeriAnn, Alan Richer, Frank Elson, and Peter
    Hope come to mind- who's knowledge of Land Rovers at least
    equals Mr. Kellog's, if not exceeds it by a considerable margin.
    Rebuilding them for a couple of decades does not automatically
    mean you know everything there is to know about them. I've never
    heard if Mr. Kellog's interest in Land Rovers extends to using them,
    or if his primary interest is in the restoration. You can learn a lot from
    taking them apart and putting them back together again, but you probably
    learn more by using them and dealing with them in the real world outside
    the shop.

    I had heard as far back as the late 1970s-early '80s about Mr.
    Kellog's operation in Olympia. Even that far back, his reputation among
    other US parts suppliers and LR mechanics was that while
    his work was extremely good, his prices, even parts prices, were
    considerably out of line. So that aspect of his business does not seem to
    have
    changed. But he's been in business a long time, so unless he's
    independently wealthy, he's obviously read his segment of the
    market correctly.

    >Check the prices at East Cost Rovers. A full restoration takes a LOT
    of labour and new parts.

    TeriAnn is certainly correct about this, particularly for a vehicle or
    machine
    where some things are very difficult or impossible to obtain new. I would
    not be surprised if the cost of replacing all the moving parts on a Series
    with
    new or rebuilt units approaches or even exceeds $10,000. I don't know what
    Mr. Kellog uses for a shop labor rate. At most of the car dealerships
    around
    here, the rate runs from $65-$100, depending on the status of the car. So
    a week's worth of work is going to amount to $2,600 to $4,000. How long
    does it take to dismantle, clean, strip, replace all bad parts and
    fasteners, prime,
    repaint, rewire, and reassemble a Series? More than a week, I think. Work
    on it
    two or three or four weeks, and you're looking a pretty fair labor charge.
    So I can see how
    the cost of a total restoration to create a virtually new vehicle can get up
    there
    in the $20,000-plus range. Whether or not a Series Land Rover is actually
    worth
    this is not the issue. It's simply a matter of doing the math- parts costs
    plus labor costs.

    Roll in a profit, and I can see how you could get up to $30,000 for a full,
    like-new
    restoration with zero time on all the moving components. But I have a tough
    time seeing
    that value attached to what is, in essence, a tool box with wheels. We're
    not talking
    a Jaguar E-type here, or a '57 Chevy. On the other hand, I've owned one
    since
    you could buy them new off the lot, so perhaps it's impossible for me to
    identify with
    the desire among today's non-owners to want one. After almost 30 years,
    there's certainly nothing magic or romantic about the vehicle to me
    It would be interesting to know
    how today's wealthy purchasers of Mr. Kellog's vehicles react when their
    "new"
    Land Rovers start leaking oil, needing tuneups, blow hub seals, burn valves,
    and so
    forth after a few years. My new SIII went four years before the first oil
    leak.
    But once they started, they never stopped coming. It would also be
    interesting to
    know how Mr. Kellog's immaculate restorations hold up under the pressure of
    modern buyers to keep up with traffic. Or maybe the people who pay
    $30,000-plus
    for a restored Series never intend to drive it much at all.