Re: [lro] Text of NY Times Article

From: TeriAnn Wakeman (twakeman@cruzers.com)
Date: Fri Nov 08 2002 - 19:51:26 EST

    > I just take the greatest exception to somebody characterizing Series
    > owners
    > as fist handed australopiths bodging whatever parts they can scrounge
    > into
    > a vehicle they can't appreciate.

    Reading many of the brags on this list about things used to keep many
    lister's Rovers moving (I'm not considering field repairs) I almost
    think he is right. Many people on the list seem to have, with great
    pride, taken bodging to a high art form. There seem to be a lot of
    people who go way out of their way to keep from using Land Rover parts
    to fix things. Not everyone of course but a very noticeable number.

    Then there are the people like me who have given up on some LR
    assemblies as being unreliable have installed a thing or two more
    robust.

    > I think a great follow up article would be a piece about the lunatics
    > who
    > buy Mr Kellog's (et al) vehicles.

    I've taken a good look at the restored Series Land Rovers he has taken
    to the Portland all British Field meet to sell. The ones I have seen
    look factory new, including the bolts. One I looked a closely a few
    years back came with a complete factory toolkit as well as a full, like
    new interior (new genuine elephant hide upholstry) and a full set of
    factory manuals.

    Check the prices at East Cost Rovers. A full restoration takes a LOT
    of labour and new parts.

    Mind you I'm not defending his business practices nor would I purchase
    anything from him unless i had it in my hand and had fully examined it
    first, but i have never seen one of his restorations that did not look
    first rate.

    I just figure there are people in this world with way more money than I
    who like the idea of buying a new series Land Rover. kellog & East
    Coast Rovers cater to the group

    TeriAnn wakeman
    Santa Cruz, California
      http://www.cruzers.com/~twakeman

    A member of the internet community since 1985.