[lro] Series prices (was NY Times)

From: Faure, Marin (marin.faure@boeing.com)
Date: Fri Nov 08 2002 - 14:50:06 EST

    Richard Joltes wrote:
    > a mate took his immaculate '64 to an auto show here in
    > Pittsburgh last year and some guy driving a Rangie
    > offered him $50k for it on the spot.

    We've talked about this before, but thanks in large part to the
    excellent marketing and branding job done by Range Rover
    North America (now Land Rover North America) the Land
    Rover brand is now seen as a super-status symbol in this country.
    Land Rover, not being stupid, have capitalized on the growing
    market for luxury SUVs and have helped by pushing the Range
    Rover and to a degree the Discovery to ever-greater heights
    of passenger comfort and amenities.

    I suspect that most new Range Rover, Discovery, and
    Freelander owners in the US are familiar with the history
    of the marque only in whatever reference is made to it in
    Land Rover's current literature. So while the Series is correctly
    thought of as the forerunner to the current crop of vehicles,
    I'd be willing to bet that in most cases, new Land Rover
    owners think that Series vehicles are just "older" versions
    of what they just bought. They have no clue as to the
    Series' weak performance, high maintenance, and
    lack of creature comforts. So the Series, simply by
    virtue of bearing the Land Rover name, is being carried
    along in the upmarket tide that's associated these days
    with the Land Rover name.

    I read the other day that fourteen percent of the total wealth in this
    country is held by one percent of the population. The last
    time there was this much disparity between the very rich and
    everyone else was in the 1920s. So while the numbers of
    very wealthy people is relatively small, the amount of money they
    each have is extremely large. So while most of us reel around
    wondering what's happened to our buying power, the market for
    super cars- cars with prices of $125,000 and up- has never been
    better. So you get the new $300,000 Bentley and the
    $1 million Bugatti, both of which have their limited production rates
    sold out for the foreseeable future.

    So if Series Land Rovers are suddenly seen as a "must have"
    by the wealthy, who are always looking for a new
    toy to buy, what seem to us to be ludicrous
    prices will be perfectly acceptable to these people. I doubt we'll
    see this sort of run-amok value being placed on Series in other
    countries where Series vehicles are much more common, and
    have been around continuously from the Series through the Defender.
    There, people probably have a more realistic concept of what these
    vehicles really are. But in this country, the gap from 1975 to 1987
    I think has heightened the "mystique" of the earlier vehicles to some
    extent. There weren't that many brought in in to begin with, so the
    fever to own a "classic" Land Rover is driven even higher by the
    relatively low numbers of vehicles available.

    Sure, you can buy a Series in the UK for a song, but most of the very
    wealthy don't think that way. They see what they want and
    buy it. They don't want the inconvenience of finding a good
    on in another country, having it shipped, messing with the
    paperwork etc. What they want, they want right now, not three or
    four months from now. Add to that the fact that the
    value of their time and effort, at least in their eyes, is too great to
    be wasted on mundane things like finding an inexpensive way to
    get a Series Land Rover, and they'll be happy to fork over $50,000
    for a Series already here. They'll probably view it as a bargain.

    A similar parallel exists in airplanes. The de Havilland Beaver was
    designed as a bush plane, and as such it is a very good one. Kenmore
    Air Harbor, where I fly, started back in the
    early 1970s rebuilding and improving these airplanes, only 1600 or so
    of which were ever made. Until the late '80s, almost all the Beavers
    Kenmore rebuilt went to commercial operators, mostly in Alaska but in
    other parts of the world as well. During this time, the price of a
    completely
    rebuilt Beaver with the Kenmore mods, a zero-time engine, and a new
    set of EDO floats stabilized at about $260,000.

    Then the Beaver was "discovered" by rich folks. For the past fifteen
    year or so, Kenmore has not built a single Beaver for a commercial
    operator. Instead, their planes have been built for the very rich. Beavers

    have become a "must have" item among people with money and who fly
    or want airplanes. Movie stars, musicians, developers, dot-com
    people- they all had to have a Beaver. Today, the average price for
    a rebuilt Beaver is just shy of $1 million. With the exception of some
    fancy
    stuff in the instrument panel, nothing about the plane has changed from the
    days when
    the planes were being rebuilt for commercial operators. What has changed is

    the price the market is willing to pay.

    So a price of $100,000 for a Series won't surprise me one bit, because
    there will be someone out there who will be willing to pay it. Here's
    a question: as the US prices for Series start climbing, will you be willing
    to sell yours for "big bucks," knowing that it may cost you even more to buy

    another one if you decide to at a later date? Or do you think it makes
    more sense to hang on to what you already have?