Re: [lro] diesels.. info wanted

From: TeriAnn Wakeman (twakeman@cruzers.com)
Date: Thu Nov 07 2002 - 12:30:29 EST

    On Thursday, November 7, 2002, at 07:40 AM, Peter Hope wrote:

    > I had a Nissan 6cyl TD in a 1980 Scout.
    > Don't know if it's the same 4.2 but it was a great engine.

    That was the Nissan SD33T engine. The turbo was turned down low & had
    no intercooler. It is about the same size as the Chevy inline six.
    Functional engines can be had for under US$1000 but it would cost
    $5000-$6000 to completely go through one and bring it up to like new
    condition. I have a spec sheet in a findable location if someone wants
    some data. The AT6 & SD33T were my finalist diesel engines when i was
    trying to decide what to put into The Green Rover. Considering that
    going with a fresh diesel would have almost doubled my conversion costs
    over a fresh petrol V8 and that at the time diesel was running about 20
    cents more per gallon than regular petrol I could never see how i could
    break even with a diesel.

    But if i did, i suspect I would be very much into biodiesel right now.

    > Not sure where you are, but judging from the "Nissan UD" comments I
    > guess
    > it's not the US.

    Yep. In the US. It is their commercial truck line. I looked at these
    engines installed and saw lots and lots of tubes and external doodads
    and electronic stuff. The complexity scared me off.

    What sort of fuel economy does the GM 6.5 turbo get?

    TeriAnn Wakeman If you send me direct mail, please
    Santa Cruz, California start the subject line with TW -
    twakeman@cruzers.com I will be sure to read the message

    http://www.cruzers.com/~twakeman

    "How can life grant us the boon of living..unless we dare"
    Amelia Earhart 1898-1937