Re: [lro] Condensors

From: Alan J. Richer (mrchurchill109@yahoo.com)
Date: Thu Nov 07 2002 - 10:33:34 EST

    --- "A. P. (Sandy) Grice" <apg4@pinn.net> wrote:

    > Land-Rover's manual for Africa, "Working in the Wild"
    > suggests two ways to
    > improvise a condneser. One is to take two metal liscense
    > plates, separated
    > by a piece of paper; one is earthed to the vehicle.

    That's pretty straightforward - 2 plates and an insulator -
    it's a stock condenser.

    > The
    > other is to wrap a
    > strip of aluminium foil slightly smaller than an
    > insulating strip of tape
    > around a pencil. Now if someone can explain this to
    > me....

    I think that they mean 2 strips of foil on both sides of
    the insulating tape....then remove the pencil and connect
    to the foil strips.

    I used to do essentially this to make condensers for
    "period" crystal sets looking like they came from the
    Thirties. Layers of foil and wax paper - half the foil
    exits one side, half the other. Connect the sides
    respectively, press together and tape tightly and you have
    a condenser.

    This is also a good way to improvise one....

                  ajr

    =====
    The journey is the destination. Anything else is illusion.

    Please ignore the following advertising.....
    http://launch.yahoo.com/u2