[lro] Condensors

From: A. P. (Sandy) Grice (apg4@pinn.net)
Date: Thu Nov 07 2002 - 10:16:02 EST

    Patrick Parsons <patrickparsons@hawaii.rr.com> wrote:

    >On 11/6/02 11:33 AM, "Faure, Marin" <marin.faure@boeing.com> wrote:

    >> I too have had a bad condenser right out of the box.
    >> Installed correctly, wires looked fine, but car wouldn't
    >> start. Re-installed old condenser, and the engine started
    >> and ran great. I don't know what the insides of a condenser
    >> consist of, but it is apparently possible to have faulty ones
    >> right from the manufacturer.

    BTDT...got the T-shirt. I've also had a condenser fail whilst repacking a
    rear wheel bearing....

    >When I had a VW, I'd usually buy them in pairs when doing a tune up. Parts
    >were quite cheap, and often, cheaply made knock offs at that.

    >I suppose there's some chewing gum and tin foil wadded up inside the
    >condenser. ;-)

    Land-Rover's manual for Africa, "Working in the Wild" suggests two ways to
    improvise a condneser. One is to take two metal liscense plates, separated
    by a piece of paper; one is earthed to the vehicle. The other is to wrap a
    strip of aluminium foil slightly smaller than an insulating strip of tape
    around a pencil. Now if someone can explain this to me....