[lro] DB4 (was college cars) No LR content

From: Faure, Marin (marin.faure@boeing.com)
Date: Wed Nov 06 2002 - 17:25:11 EST

    Mattias Bostrvm wrote
    >I for one would like to hear more about the DB4.

    The DB4 I called my own for a short period in the 1970s
    was a 1960 coupe. It had been brought to Honolulu
    by a family friend, who subsequently decided he didn't like
    the car as it was a lot of trouble (to him) to keep running
    properly. Plus the aluminum 3.6 litre engine didn't like
    the hot climate, and you had to be really careful not to
    let it overheat.

    Long story short, the friend offered to sell it to me for
    a price that, even converted to today's dollars, was ludicrously
    low. I said I'd buy it, and he immediately turned it over to me
    and bought a Mercedes (which he subsequently didn't like
    either and bought a Lincoln Continental, which he did like).
    I had the DB4 for about six months while I tried to
    come up with the money, but even though the price was
    incredibly low, it was still a fair amount for a guy in his
    20s who was paying off a new Land Rover. In the end, I just
    couldn't swing it, and he sold the car to someone
    on the mainland for a vast amount more than he'd
    asked from me.

    I still look back on this as one of the major mistakes
    of my life (so far). Today, of course, I can think of all sorts of
    ways I might have come up with the money that I
    didn't think of back then. I drove it primarily at night
    when it was cooler. My favorite run was to circle the
    island, which I recall took about three hours, give or take. The
    two-lane road on the windward side of Oahu was perfect
    for this kind of car back then, as there was little other traffic
    and enough curves to make the drive fun.

    The main thing I remember now about the DB4 besides
    being able to pretend to be James Bond (although his was a
    DB5), was the sound. I have never heard any other car, including
    a few Ferraris, make such a wonderful sound. I was heavily
    into flying by this time, and it was easy to pretend I was in
    a Spitfire, listening to that DB4 engine as I drove at night,
    even though the car had only half the number of cylinders.