Re: [lro] tranny woes 2

From: Peter Ogilvie (roverhi@yahoo.com)
Date: Tue Nov 05 2002 - 13:29:10 EST

    If you are the typical Rover owner, the last thing you
    want to do is do it your self. It will take longer,
    maybe more than a year. The cost will be at least
    double, of course you'll end up with a rebuilt engine
    and maybe a frame over in the process.

    Their quote seems a bit high but not out of the ball
    park. Depends on how much a rebuilt transmission
    costs. Have seen quotes of under a $1,000 when MOD
    rebuilds were still available to over $1,500. If they
    are going to rebuild, what parts are required to
    rebuild the existing transmission?? Major damage to
    the gears on the transmission can run the parts cost
    into the prohibitive range real quick. Replacing the
    bearings, synchros and first reverse gears is not a
    big deal. If you have other major things to replace,
    whoaa boy!!! With the cost of labor these days, $500
    just to R&R the transmission is probably cheap.

    I'd still check around for a better deal. You'll have
    to pay the current guys for their work, though. In
    the end you'll probably find dropping in a rebuilt
    will be your best bet. I'd see if you can buy the
    rebuilt transmission and clutch parts, yourself, and
    have them install them. Since they don't seem to have
    the best price on parts, might be able to save some
    money. RDS, Thatched Roof Garage or others would
    probably give you the best prices.

    Aloha
    Peter O.