RE: [lro] Parkinsons was Learning to weld?

From: Peter Ogilvie (roverhi@yahoo.com)
Date: Mon Nov 04 2002 - 18:08:23 EST

    Haven't heard of any link to encephalitis as being a
    Parkinson's trigger but I'm not an expert. There
    seems to be a slightly higher occurence in Farmers
    which is suspected to be herbacide/pesticide related
    but not by any means proven. Only one group of
    Farmers in a small area in Canada had a statistically
    more significant occurence of the disease and it was a
    very marked spike in occurence. They believe they've
    traced that outbreak to an experimental pesticide that
    underwent testing in the area. Needless to say the
    pesticide never reached the market. There is also a
    slightly elevated occurence in people who drink well
    water. If you are on a well, might want to get a
    reverse osmosis filter or drink bottle watered. Once
    again this is only a slight elevation in the number
    and age of onset of the disease. You don't need to
    lay awake at night wondering when you are going to get
    the disease.

    The designer drug wannabe that was the first direct
    causative factor of Parkinsons is called MPTP. MPTP
    is also a close chemical cousin of the pesticide that
    caused the outbreak in Canada. It's a close relative
    to the designer drug that the guy was trying to
    replicate in his basement lab. Don't know whether he
    cooked the batch too long or made other errors but he
    and a few of his friends are paying for it, the rest
    of their lives. Dopamine is manufactured in an area
    of the brain called the substantia nigra (sp). MPTP
    attacks that area and permanently stops the production
    of dopamine. That gives the sufferer the rigid form
    of the disease, otherwise, they are frozen like a
    board. AFIK, the drugs used to treat Parkinsons
    stimulate an under funtioning Substantia Nigra to
    produce Dopamine. These poor people destroyed the SN
    so there are no therapies that would/did work for
    them. Kind of like having the endstage of the disease
    instantly.

    The above occurence is why it's so scary that all
    these kids are taking these designer drugs. They'll
    pop anything into their mouths for a short term high.
    Some smuck of a chemist, in a back yard, screws up
    just a little and we could have hundres of thousands
    of cases of endstage Parkinsons, right now. This is
    really scary as Al Qaeda would just have to flood the
    country with a Escstasy wannabe and a whole bunch of
    kids lives would be over.

    I'll ask my dad if there is a good website for
    questions about Parkinsons. Probably would be a much
    better source than me for information.

    Aloha
    Peter O.