LRO: Rednecks are real

From: Jean-Leon Morin (offroaddesign@softhome.net)
Date: Fri Jul 06 2001 - 22:43:03 EDT

I had the sad duty of reading through a Petersen's 4 wheel and off-road
magazine that the boss brought in from 1989 today. The mag was still in
pristine shape, but I must say the insides did not age so gracefully. My,
what a sorry sight.

Big highboy ford F250's, with two feet of spring lift, twenty shocks, all
chrome plated, big chrome motors with gazillions of lights. As I read
through, some of the simpler minded folk that usually habit a garage started
pointing and staring at these redneck mobiles, in all their
monster-truck-rally-mudfest-glory.

I could not help but be disgusted at these monstrosities, floating about on
44" bogger redneck tires, and what really made me sick was the chrome!

What a sorry sight. I can tell you that I was gawddarn glad to see my
topless 109 IIa freakmobile, on its small 750X16 tires, with the big winch
on the front, and the snorkel popping out the side, paint peeling, and dents
showing in the moonight.

Ahh, life is good - Thank god for rovers, the antidote to redneckness.

 J-L