Re: LRO: Rangie Fuel Milage (was: 1994 County SWB)

From: Perrone Ford (ford_p@nettally.com)
Date: Fri Jul 06 2001 - 11:59:06 EDT

       Normal mileage is somewhere between 11-15 mpg depending on how "in-tune" your motor is, and whether you are doing stop and go driving.  Since our engines develop such little torque at take off, we are inclined to push harder on the pedal, and that brings down economy.  The engine is notoriously thirsty even though it gives such poor performance.

       This is one reason I advocate switching to the GM 350 engine should the LR one go belly up instead of going to a 4.6  I bought mine with the understanding that I would get 12 mpg, but I have done better than that on most occasions.  The shape of the classic REALLY hurts it at speed.  It provides almost a square profile to the wind which is the least aerodynamic shape available.  Folks, lets not forget that we are talking about a vehicle designed in the late 60s with an engine from the same period.  Most engines then produced far less mileage than what we get.

    -Perrone

    Hope Peter wrote:

    I have a '95 RR LWB and love it, but be prepared to pay for fuel costs if
    you drive it very much. I average about 10 mpg.

    Is this typical milage? Have a friend with a 95 but never asked.
    Find it hard to believe that it gets mileage so low. Our full size GMC with
    a 5.0l gets about 18 around the city and got 24mpg highway when we still
    lived in a place that you could drive for more then 10 miles on a highway at
    over 40mph.
    Pete