Re: LRO: Midget tach wiring and steering box help needed...

From: Peter Ogilvie (konacoffee2@hotmail.com)
Date: Thu Jul 05 2001 - 16:03:01 EDT

    Leakage from the box seems inevitable. Have never seen one that was clean
    unless the PO blasted off the truck on a regular basis. Refill with 140
    weight in the fill hole in the top, if you haven't already done so. Clean
    off the box and see if it is actually visibly oozing out or not. If I only
    saw a small area of seapage around the box after a week or two, would bet
    its normal.. There is an adjustment on the side of the box. A threaded
    piece with a locknut on the outside. Tighten this up judiciously as too
    much torque on the adjuster will supposedly have dire consequences. I've
    just used one finger on a wrench to tighten it up just enough to eliminate
    steering wheel play to the box. The only rover I've ever driven that didn't
    have pretty sloppy steering is a Series III, by the way, and I've driven a
    couple of low mileage IIa's.

    If it is a serious leak, there are gaskets at the bottom,outboard side, and
    steering post joint that could be changed and an 'O' ring on the out put
    shaft. Probably would require removing the box to get at these seals.

    Aloha
    Peter O.