LRO: RE: Stock off-road (was Dodge front ends)

From: Perrone Ford (ford_p@nettally.com)
Date: Wed Jul 04 2001 - 16:43:49 EDT

    Ohhh Marin...

            Your call on the Grand Cherokee was a big miss. The Grand Cherokee with
    the Quadra Drive will run circles around most of our trucks. It uses Zexel
    diffs front and rear (same system as the hummer) so it basically has the
    equivalent of softlockers on both ends! With some aggressive tires, its a
    VERY capable truck. This option is not available on the base Cherokee. The
    Mercedes Galendewagon is a pretty good offroader which has locking diffs
    front and rear. But at the current price of almost $150k, I'd have a TOUGH
    time taking it offroad!

            I'm not so sure about that F250/Chevy Silverado call either. I think the
    4wd systems are pretty weak. However the new Toyota TRD truck should be on
    the list. Its tough as nails and comes with a rear locker. REALLY gets you
    into and out of places. Under $30k too so its a good bargain.

            Oh, and Jeep really does test all its models on the Rubicon as a matter of
    routine so even the new Liberty has some roots away from the road.

    -P