RE: LRO: Dodge front ends

From: Perrone Ford (ford_p@nettally.com)
Date: Wed Jul 04 2001 - 10:42:19 EDT

    Although this is somewhat a generic term, I'd say there are some very
    specific things that make an "off-road vehicle".

    1. Vehicle was designed and engineered to withstand the rigors of going off
    the tarmac. This starts with the chassis, but includes the suspension,
    engine (good low down torque), real wheels and tires, seats are high, lower
    dash, vibration management has been addressed, etc.

    2. Vehicle includes or gives room to add proper recovery points and
    off-road accessories.

    3. Vehicle offers significant cooling capacity to keep the engine cool even
    at slow speeds.

    4. Large capacity fuel tank so that time can be spent away from the road
    without needed 10 jerry cans.

    5. Vehicle offers some convenience when trying to work on it in the field.

    6. Vehicle should be designed with good approach, departure, break over,
    and tip angles.

    7. Vehicle should allow for the addition of larger tires without cutting
    metal.

    8. Vehicle should include strong axles and drive train as well as a
    low-range transfer case.

    9. Carpeting should be removable for cleaning.

    There are many others, but I wouldn't consider a vehicle without these
    things a serious off-roader.

    -Perrone