LRO: Dodge front ends

From: Jean-Leon Morin (offroaddesign@softhome.net)
Date: Tue Jul 03 2001 - 23:02:34 EDT

    Unfortunately, the problems are not limited to Dodge vehicles only. Ford
    seems to be having major reliablility problems with their F250's.
    Interestingly, this winter, I came into work, and was met by a beautiful
    example of a Ford F250, nice Western plow, backrack, delta toolboxes, and a
    thoroughly broken tie rod.

    The owner had gotten the truck towed overnight, after blowing the tie rod
    plowing. We checked the front end, and to the owner's dismay, at 50 000 kms,
    the ENTIRE front end needed overhauling - end to end. The guy was raging. He
    had blown 50 000$ on a beautiful landscape-mobile, replacing a 1 1/4 ton
    chevy pickup (ex mil). After playing phone tag with the local ford dealers
    to get a price on some suspension parts, the guy, red as a tomato, got the
    truck flat towed to the nearest dealer. Would NOT want to be the sales
    manager on at the time.

    This is not an isolated incident. 2wd, 4wd, today's work truck fleet is
    getting weaker and weaker. Front end parts seem to wear out extremely
    quickly - and this is not extreme use! A one ton snowplow prepped pickup
    ought to be able to handle a small western plow for a season. I know a rover
    could push one for a decade at least...

    J-L