Re: LRO: Prejudices wasKinda Long and Opinionated Leaf/Coil comments bewarned

From: Joseph S Dufresne (Josad@networld.com)
Date: Mon Jul 02 2001 - 11:51:13 EDT

    At 11:00 AM 6/29/2001 -1000, you wrote:
    >Are big FAT tires really better for off roading or is it just a myth that
    >the Wider the tires, the longer the equipment of the operator. I'm a big
    >proponent of ground clearance though have found 32" tires get me where I
    >want to go. With all respect to Peter H. can't see anything wider than a
    >9.5" tire on a 2 1/4 powered series truck. Also can't imagine a taller
    >tire than 33" on a series without widening the track. You'd huli the
    >truck on a 20 degree sideslope with anything bigger. Just because the
    >mall poseurs take along ladders to climb into the cab, doesn't mean they
    >really work off road. More likely it's just a vain fashion statement to
    >impress the chicks. Peter H's comments against Defender owners also
    >applies to the big tire American Iron crowd. Of course, when you take
    >your 143" wheelbase extended cab pickup, with custom pinstriping and
    >graphics, offroad, you need 40" tires to get the same breakover angle as a
    >Series on 31" tires. With a wheel base that long you aren't going to get
    >far off road, in any case.
    >
    >As far as Joe, it sounds like he ought to strip the rusty body off his
    >scout, buy a bulkhead, rear tub, fenders, and breakfast, adjust the Scout
    >frame accordingly and graft the body onto the Scout Frame. The only thing
    >that will be left of the series is the look. Why waste a good series
    >doing this. If all he wants is the looks, its easier and cheaper to do it
    >with parts than butchering a whole truck. Hell, if he wants to pay the
    >shipping, I'll give him an 88 tub that is pre customized for rock
    >work. If he insists on Rover underpinnings, a coil frame and donations
    >from a RR may get him what he wants. Though that conversion may not be cheap.

    ok, how much does it weigh? whaqt are the dimensions? and where are you?

    >Some modifications to a series make sense. A more efficient, more
    >powerful motor would be nice to have but not a big American V8 unless

    i'm not a fan of V8's, and in any case, only a small american v-8 would fit
    in a landrover w/o serious modifications

    >you're also going to swap in an appropriate transmission and
    >axles. Especially on a 109, power steering would be nice, your going to
    >be doing a lot of wheel twisting to get that long wheelbase, huge turning
    >circle vehicle into even open spaces. Of course, if you had 9.5" or

    power steeri ng is nothing, it's power brakes i want

    >narrower tires, power steering wouldn't be needed quite so much. Only
    >drastic modifications to the front suspension will get you a lot more
    >articulation. More cost effective to just install parabolics and put
    >lockers all round. Extending the spring mounts and putting on longer front

    A spring over can do pretty well

    >springs and shock towers won't get you nearly as far as the above
    >modification. A way to get the road cruising speed up a little at a more
    >comfortable rpm would be nice, especially if your running 100hp or
    >so. Going faster than 70mph on ANY off road capable truck is
    >irresponsible and dangerous to the rest of us. An offroad capable truck
    >is physically unsuitable for highspeed on road work. Yeah, you can

    I have to agree here. if properly built, a "off-road capable" truck can
    sustain high speeds. I have several freinds who race scouts, those scots
    are bilt diffrent than the rockcrawlers they own

    >put air springs and electronic suspension (sound familiar) to lower and
    >stiffen the suspension for road work and then pump it up and give the
    >wheel travel needed for off road work. For most of us mortals, the
    >combination of high CG for ground clearance and the reliability of springs
    >and mechanical suspension means we have to drive prudently on the road.

    oh, defiently. I used to drive semi's, i don't take chances

    >Use a little common sense in how you want to modify your Series truck. If
    >you want a gonzo rock crawler, it ain't a series truck. With a few

    series trucks aren't rock crawlers?

    >judicious and cost effective changes, you can have a series truck that
    >will get you almost anywhere that 4 wheels will go, however, and still
    >have a vehicle that bears a close resemblance to the Series Truck that you
    >started with. Don't spend a lot of money on a paint job, if your going to
    >USE your truck off road. You WILL be customizing the body work.

    almost anywhere is the problem. a stock 4wd can handls most 3 rated
    trails, but i'm moving towards 5 rated trails.

    Joe