Re: LRO: Re: Kinda Long and Opinionated Leaf/Coil comments bewarned

From: Peter Ogilvie (konacoffee2@hotmail.com)
Date: Sun Jul 01 2001 - 14:41:46 EDT

    My comments have little to do with coil or leaf, it has to do with trying to
    turn an iguanadon into a greyhound. There comes a point when the basic
    structure no longer works and you end up with a vehicle that is a true
    bastard without the characteristics of the original and the benefits of the
    latter. Series trucks have some historical value and what some people
    propose doing will remove that car from the world. These people only want
    the look of the series truck. If you want something other than a series,
    use something other than a series. You can buy repro. bodies of Jeeps, Toy
    LC's, and even Early Broncos. Since what they want to do is an ersatz
    vehicle, don't tear up a perfectly good series truck when you can make it
    totally ersatz out of replaceable parts.

    I've never intimated that the series trucks are the best 4x4 by Far. Just
    that people have some respect for their elders. It seems most of the people
    that want to change the series the most, aren't as old as their trucks. Not
    old enough to have an appreciation for their heritage. You can only do so
    much with the series suspension, engine and running gear. If money was no
    object, I'd cobble up a coil sprung, diesel powered, 5 speed, 34 inch tired,
    series look alike. But I'd do it out of pieces that I've got lying around.
    From experience, the more gonzo the truck, the more gonzo the driving, and
    the more trail customizing of the body work. If Gonzo is your only
    vocabulary, the series isn't the place to start. Way cheaper to either do
    it from scratch or buy a jeep. Some people make the assumption that stock
    series trucks are the only way to go. I hardly feel that way and would buy
    a coiler if it would do the job for me AND was cost effective. Have
    seriously thought about an engine/trans. transplant to get better economy
    and performance. Keeping the Series running is enough of a headache, don't
    want the added problems of even a NA spec. D90. Since we never got diesels
    over here, I wouldn't buy a coiler because of their atrocious gas mileage
    and performance. I may only get 14mpg in the series but its done with a
    certain panache. If I was to buy a RR or Disco, which I almost did last
    week, it would get an immediate engine transplant.

    Put a lift under an old Disco or RR, stick on some decent sized tires and
    think it would be a match for a series even with lockers. D90's are
    probably much more practical for serious off road work, if for no other
    reason than you wouldn't have to be concerned about getting the leather
    dirty. Having said that, given a choice between a series truck for $6,000
    or a RR for the same price, I'd jump on the series.

    Series trucks are a state of mind even if you don't drive one. Coilers can
    stay on the list, if my vote has any weight. Just don't start bragging
    about your 5 disk cd changer or A/C, etc, etc. I don't care and it only
    makes me feel sorry for you 'cause you know its going to break and RUIN your
    day. Keep a series no frills, straight ahead vehicle, attitude, that's what
    its all about.

    Aloha
    Peter O.