Re: LRO: Re: Kinda Long and Opinionated Leaf/Coil comments bewarned

From: Jeff Bieler (mrbieler@earthlink.net)
Date: Sun Jul 01 2001 - 12:32:25 EDT

    Frank Elson wrote:
    "Now you can try to fool yourselves as much as you like but that split was not
    over suspension systems although that provided a nice little excuse. It was
    over the completely different attitudes between owners of 'new' vehicles and
    owners of 'old' ones, between poseurs and enthusiasts, between cruisers and
    off-roaders... but not about suspension systems.

    =>A lot of people "walk between both worlds". We have our '97 D1 which is the
    family wagon and wife's get to work vehicle, but it's also been set up for
    off-roading and the dif-lock gets engaged regularly. The pin striping, bumps
    and bruises, and drag marks along the undercarriage are not from the speed
    bumps at the mall or lifting tires on curbs. And yes, it runs tall skinny
    tires.

    On the other hand, now that life has returned to a state that somewhat
    resembles normalcy, we're reentering the world of leaf sprung trucks after a
    brief hiatus. A '66 IIA SWB is about to enter the driveway. That will be
    driven daily by myself and will be off-roaded at least as much as the Discovery
    is now.

    Which is "better"? Depends on your definition and what you're doing. There
    are times when the a leaf sprung, open topped, bare bones truck is all I want
    to be in. There are other times when the Discovery is the way I want to go. I
    am excited about the prospects of off-roading and camping with my wife and our
    new son. Until he's not in a car seat, the family off roader will be the
    Discovery. When he's bigger, I hope he enjoys off-roading in a Series as
    well. I hope he also shares my fondness for tinkering and turn wrenches.

    A soft sprung, longer wheel base Discovery can do things on rocks and steps
    that a 88 will balk at. There are also trails where the Discovery just won't
    go and the 88 zips up without complaint. Poseurs versus enthusiasts? There
    are both driving both types regularly. The late model folk will have their
    threads about ABS repairs, ECU problems, etc. The leaf crowd gets to bitch
    about fouled drum brakes, busting frame bushings out, frame cancer, and the
    nightmare of correcting PO electrical work. Somethings will never cross over
    between the two. What is sad is the rampant elitism. Some folks are just
    plain bitter.

    Jeff Bieler