Re: LRO: New Guy or All about Joe

From: Joseph S Dufresne (Josad@networld.com)
Date: Sun Jul 01 2001 - 00:25:27 EDT

    TeriAnn Wakeman wrote:

    >Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2001 18:22:00 -0700 (MST)
    >To: LRO list <lro@works.team.net>
    >Subject: Re: LRO: New Guy or All about Joe
    >From: TeriAnn Wakeman <twakeman@cruzers.com>
    >
    >>the 200Tdi and 300Tdi land rover diesels are awesome machines. 200 ft lbs
    >>at 1800 rpm from a 2.5 L inline 4 diesel. many many companies in the uk
    >>mae hotter parts for them as well, including stroker kits, bigger turbos,
    >>and bigger intercoolers. ive heard of 250hp 300lb ft 300 tdis.
    >That's nice. But if I were going to a small diesel in a LR I would
    >probably go with the SD33T then boost the turbo and intercooler. The

    I'm not sure I would. given the hevier weight of the scout, I'd find a
    non-turbo (easier) and use it. or if Ihad a military model,i'd go with a
    engine from a forklift, those are generally 24V. one guy is swaping a 1983
    nissian sd and five speed from patrol into his scout. supposed to develop
    130 horses

    >SD33T would just about fit into a '67 NADA 109 with very few
    >modifications. THen you have that bullet proff T-18 or T-19 that bolts
    >up with off the shelf parts. Build ani

    well, all diesel scouts came with the "close" t-19, with only a 4.02 1st
    gear. the "wide version" like I have uses a decent 6.32 first, but try
    buying one, they're real popular among the rock crowd.

    Does the 5 speed in th LR use a removeable bell housing? If so i'd use it,
    and a modified housing

    > adaptor to go to a series transfer
    >case and pop in a rear Salisbury

    Defiently. one of the things i like about the rover is the offset rear output.

    >(Land ROver style Dana 60). The SD33T

    whats the diffrence? buying zand building one is a possibility

    >has very similar power specs to the 300 tdi. A difference is that the
    >SD33T has a small turbo boost and no intercooler where as the baisc 300
    >tdi has higher boost and an intercooler.

    As lomg as you're in no hurry, the sd33 and turbo'd version are great engines

    >If I'm going to play with turbo boost and intercoolers I would rather
    >start with a 3.3L six cylinder diesel built using BIG diesel type
    >construction. And a six cylinder is just a little bit smoother.

    Actuall, if you wanna be impressed, first take apart an aircraft engine,
    then take apart a SD.

    >Besides putting a late Scout engine into a LR would help Joe feel more at
    >home.
    >Also, Joe, if you want power steering in a left hand drive LR, the Scout
    >II power steering box is the best option.

    Well, power steering is nice, but I was thinking more of power
    brakes. since the GM hydroboost uses the powersteering pump, it's an easy
    upgrade for vehicles never equiped

    Joe

    >TeriAnn
    > http://www.overlander.net
    > The world's most complete set of links connecting Rover 4X4 owners
    > with Rover parts, service, accessory & sales companies world wide.

    Joe Dufresne, josad@networld.com; ICQ# 25751950;
    http://tigger.tmcom.com/~josad/
    78 SSII; Smoking Scouts, Rocky Mtn chapter Recruitment officer for Smoking
    Scouts.