Re: LRO: New Guy or All about Joe

From: Joseph S Dufresne (Josad@networld.com)
Date: Sun Jul 01 2001 - 00:25:28 EDT

    TeriAnn Wakeman wrote:
    >You need to clear the wing openings and the inner wings. I'm running
    >265/75/16 mud terrains and on full upward articulation the tyres just
    >kiss the rear inner wings.

    Well, looking at the light weight pics Ive found, i'm thinking move the
    marker lights and trimm the front of the wing. if i can find a II, make it
    flat

    >The front action seems to be basically just up and down. So a basic
    >spring over axle conversion will allow you to run 35s or 36's.

    I'm wondering what axle to use. A good choice migh be a dana 44 or 60 from
    a chevy, then trim the long side. leave it 2-3" wider than stock

    >The rear wheels also dance around in a twisting motion bringing one wheel
    >forwards and one rearwards. It is a lot more complex motion pattern than
    >the front sees.

    4 link

    >I've seen some people handle 35's by cutting the rear inner wing and
    >rebuilding it by moving it inwards towards the centre, providing more
    >space for upward articulation.

    That i'd rather not do, wanna avoid body work. i'd swap ina wider axle as
    first choice

    >Here is something else to think about. A series Land Rover was designed
    >to fit through the average farm gate in Scotland. It is a lot narrower
    >than most all the 4X4s out there.

    scout front axle BP to BP is 58". whats on a series?

    >Doing a axle over conversion will raise the centre of gravity by a fair
    >amount. I do not know where you play but if it includes side slopes be
    >sure you install a functional full roll cage.

    northen / western utah. And a cage will come before any mods

    >Modifications are a series of comprimises. Be sure you know the
    >tradeoffs.

    I know. the engineers have to build for everyone, I build for me

    Joe

    >TeriAnn Wakeman Marigold Ltd.
    >Santa Cruz, California Web design, site updating, testing
    >webmaster@overlander.net search engine optimization, graphics
    > and more
    >http://www.overlander.net/Marigold/index.html

    Joe Dufresne, josad@networld.com; ICQ# 25751950;
    http://tigger.tmcom.com/~josad/
    78 SSII; Smoking Scouts, Rocky Mtn chapter Recruitment officer for Smoking
    Scouts.