Re: LRO: Leaf vs coil attitude, you guys have it made

From: Hope Peter (hope_peter@bah.com)
Date: Sat Jun 30 2001 - 14:03:12 EDT

    > In the US, Land Rover is
    > extremely supportive of the entire family of trucks, form Series I to the
    > 2002
    > models.

    Just wondering where in the US you are refering?
    In it's press release for the upcoming release of the Freelander in the US,
    LRNA said that the Freelander traced it's heritage back to the very first
    Land Rovers produced in 1948, the Defender.
    Someone from the list wrote LRNA and tried to correct this to read the
    Series I. LRNA replied that they never imported Series vehicles (LRNA was
    formed in the late 80's early 90's) so wouldn't be making the correction.
    During the50th the Rover dealers wanted series machines around forthe
    publicity, but since then nothing. My brother in law asked me yesterday why
    I just don't go to the dealership in downtown Honolulu to get the parts for
    my Series IIa. I couldn't stop laughing for a couple of minutes.
    The dealerships I have been to seem to perpetuate the whole "leafers aren't
    good enough to associate with" attitude that I emntioned in the first post.
    They have a spare tire cover here that has a Rhino on it and the Rover oval
    and "Land Rover Hawaii". I wanted to get one and was going to glue one of
    my Aloha Rover ovals over the LR one. Went into the dealership parts. Told
    the guy I wanted to buy "one of those Disco spare tire covers with the
    rhino".
    Parts Guy-"Do you have a Series I or II"
    Me-"IIa...88"
    PG-"Huh?"
    Me-"I have a 1970 Series IIa 88 inch softtop"
    PG-"Oh, the cover is for the Discovery"
    Me-"Yes I would like to buy one"
    PG-"It won't fit your vehicle"
    Me-"I would like to buy one anyway" :-)
    PG-"Sorry we are out of stock" to the lady next to me "Can I help you
    maam?"

    Or better yet, on of the guys on the island has an early grey market Range
    Rover. Went to the dealership to get a clutch kit. He was told "Range
    Rovers have automatics sir, you don't need a clutch"

    Again, I know that my experiances with dealerships and coil owners is pretty
    limited and I am not saying my experiances are the norm in the USA.

    Pete