RE: LRO: RE: New Guy or All about Joe

From: Keith Tanner (keith@miata.net)
Date: Sat Jun 30 2001 - 02:49:09 EDT

    > Are you going to honestly tell me that in the course of series
    >ownership you have never changed tire sizes?

    Of course not. I replaced the 7.50x16's with 235/85-16's. Not that there's
    really a whole lot of difference. Certainly not in diameter - I went with
    that size because I can get radials in it easily and it's not terribly
    different from the 7.50s. Changing wheel/tire diameter is a modification in
    my book, as it brings about a whole range of compromises both on and off
    the tarmac. Oh, there's that word again.

    > This conversation is NOT what I wanted to get into. Its just
    > insane that
    >you can consider your truck "clearly superior" since you've got bigger
    >tires. If that's what you want to think, go right ahead. Series trucks DO
    >have a lot of advantages over coilers that you should be pointing out, but
    >this ain't one.

    Dude, you've gotta chill out. You're looking for a fight and not getting
    it. Go back and read what I've written. So you're a Discovery fan, that's
    great. I own a Series because they have the character I want, the purity I
    appreciate and I can afford to run one as a toy. Not because I believe
    they're the ultimate in off-road ability. No, following a 101 and a Unimog
    through the trails makes that pretty obvious. I'm not bashing Discos or
    everything running on coils.

    I don't know who you're quoting with the "clearly superior", but it sure
    isn't me. In those conditions, the Disco was struggling. I've acknowledged
    that it is superior in many ways. I said it was amusing to watch. Perhaps I
    should have said interesting, as it was more of a challenge to get that
    truck through than it was the others. That makes things interesting. As
    provided by Land Rover, it was not as happy doing what we were doing as the
    row of Series trucks ahead and behind it.

    I'm sorry if you feel the world is out to get you. I was glad to see
    Discos, Rangies, Hummers, Unimogs, Toyotas and other vehicles out mixing it
    up at the BP. I don't kid myself that I have the best in the world - except
    that my little truck is what I consider the classic Land Rover, and that's
    why I have it.

    Keith
    Keith's page de home:
        http://keith.miata.net