RE: LRO: RE: New Guy or All about Joe

From: Keith Tanner (keith@miata.net)
Date: Sat Jun 30 2001 - 00:54:19 EDT

    Well, he was on standard Disco size tires while I was on standard Series
    size tires. So you're talking about modifying the truck, bringing in a
    whole new ballgame. You can't compare a modified truck to a stock one - or
    else you have to listen to my stories of how a modified Miata can make a C5
    vette look foolish :)

    Taller tires would have removed some of the problems with clearance of the
    air dam and the tie rods, but they would have had to be another 4" in
    diameter at least to clear a particular section. This section had also been
    partially "prepped" for him by the time I showed up, so I can't comment on
    what was done. There were a bunch of Series trucks at the top already,
    though. The extra width of the truck was cutting down his options on the
    trail if I remember it correctly.

    But the Disco had an interior, a higher on-road cruising speed, the ability
    to merge easily on a freeway, a/c, a sound system... it's all a matter of
    compromise. And to me, that's what I was watching. The result of
    compromising a vehicle away from off-road ability towards a more all-round
    one. I couldn't care less if he was using coils, leafs, airbags or big
    balloons full of whipped cream for a suspension.

    I can't comment on the competence of the driver himself. It was only my
    first day of driving offroad myself so I certainly can't claim any ability.

    Keith

    At 23:55 29-06-01, you wrote:
    > So what would have been his prospects of looking competent had he
    > been on
    >the same size tires, giving him the same ground clearance?
    >
    >-Perrone

    Keith's page de home:
        http://keith.miata.net